- A 1989 alum of University High School, Mr. Ackerman earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from the University of California, Riverside in 1993. While at UCR, he was a sprinter & triple jumper on the school's NCAA Intercollegiate Track & Field Team, and an active member of the campus community.
- After a brief post-college career in the entertainment industry, he has been employed with the Los Angeles Unified School District since 1994 as a classroom teacher and Basketball Coach at University High School. In the year 2005, he was named University High School's 5th Head Varsity Coach in the school's 90 year history.
- Now, in his 11th season at the helm of the Boys Varsity Basketball program, the Varsity Team has advanced to the City Championship Game 4 consecutive years (2008-2011) and the California State Playoffs 3 consecutive years (2009-2011). In addition, University High's basketball games have been televised on three separate occasions over the last 6 seasons, one of very few L.A. City Teams to earn that right. In 2008 Ackerman was named L.A. City Section "Coach of the Year" and in 2011, he became the fastest UNI Basketball Coach to reach and surpass the 100 victory milestone in his career.
- UNI is now regularly recognized as a regular "Top 10" Basketball program in the C.I.F. Los Angeles City Section among the section, the coaches, and the television & print media, finishing the season ranked in the Top 10 poll for eight consecutive seasons.
- Mr. Ackerman holds 2 California Teaching Credentials in Secondary Education with the emphasis in Social Sciences & Health Sciences. He is currently an instructor UNI's School of Communication Arts and the A.S.B. Leadership Advisor. Mr. Ackerman is currently teaching the following courses: U.S. Government, Economics, and U.S. History.
CAREER COACHING WIN-LOSS RECORD
2006-07: 21-13 (Div. II Semi-finalist, - Rank: #4)
2007-08: 22-12 (Div. II City Champions, - Rank: #1)
2008-09: 24-11 (Div. II City Finalist / State Playoff Qualifier - Rank: #2)
2009-10: 19-15 (Div. II City Finalist / State Playoff Qualifier - Rank: #4)
2010-11: 25-10 (Div. II City Finalist / State Playoff Qualifier - Rank: #2)
2011-12: 18-14 (Div. 1 Playoff Qualifier - Rank: #9)
2012-13: 21-12 (Div. 1 Quarterfinalist - Rank: #6)
2013-14: 19-12 (Div. 1 Qualifier - Rank: #10)
2014-15: 17-14 (Div. 1 Quarterfinalist - Rank: #4)
Win - Loss Total: 193 - 131